Thursday, November 17, 2005

Italian

There are so many great Italian restraunts in Japan. I have some favorite Italian restaurants nearby my office. It is really nice to have a glass of wine and good food after working so hard. It is a reward for a day. My best friend at work and I went to our favorite Italian restaurant in Ebisu. The name of the restaurant is Italian so it is still hard for me to remember, so we call the restaurant "Lion" since the name is something about a lion. We had a happy glassful of champagne, then a bottle of wine. For food, we have an assorted ham plate, layered baked potatos and horo-horo bird meat, fritto of shirako, past with shrimp, then charcoal grilled chicken. We were afraid if we would orderd too much so we asked a waitress who also a part of owner and very friendly to us always. She said we should be OK and she was right though we were so stuffed. She remembered me and told me "welcome back" when we entered, which made me really happy.
I think Japanese people are open to different culture when we think it is good. We take it into our culture and kind of make a new version of it. We have many different kinds of food here, the roots of the food is so many different countries I would assume. Some of them may not be so authentic, but we love it! Curry, for instance, looks and tastes different what people would have in India.. Japanese curry is more thick and with one-bite size cut of meat, onion, carrot and potato, usually served over the rice. It is so popular and one of the kids' favorite. Even though it is not authentic Japanese food, the originality and popularity of Curry made me think it is one of Japanese food. Also pasta could be with so many different sauce since it is very simple. We combine Japanese ingredients and flavor to pasta, and they are very popular too. Yes, it is good to have them. Because it is good. We don't have to pass it because it is different. I would not deny that people sometimes have wrong idea of its authenticity. I was surprised what I had been thinking as western food did not exsist or was different. Still, I love my culture and people, its openess. We could enjoy whatever it is good and fine with our own way.

No comments: