Thursday, February 07, 2008

Kagoshima Onsen & Sakurajima

After stopping by Kumamoto, we went further South in Kyushu to Kagoshima. Our hotel was on top of the mountain, looking over the Kagoshima city.....and Sakura-jima! Sakura-jima is a former island, now connected to the main Kyushu land, and one of the most active volcano in Japan. The view was already pleasant. Then I found out the hotel has an onsen, natural hot spring! I LOVE onsen because I used to go every summer with all my family whenever I visited my grandparent's home. I kind of had a skin allergy problem but it went away because of that. So I know onsen has natural power of healing, not only for skin but also for muscle pain, nerve problems depending on the minerals it contains. Moreover...it just feel so so sooooo good and very relaxing!


There is a trail going down to town and back up to the hotel. My friend and I hiked there, stopping by a big old shrine. It was a nice walk back to the hotel in the woods, I felt very relaxed. Actually it is said minus ion makes people relax, de-stress. And minus ion exists a lot anywhere nearby water, and forest. That is why we feel relaxed when we take shower and walking in the woods. Anyway, after the hike I immediately went to onsen. It is a public bath and you don't wear bathing suits so it might be a little odd for American people but you have to try this. Especially when they have an open air tub, called roten-buro, like this hotel does! Their inside tub was big as well, nice and clean, and they have mist sauna using the hot spring water. You have to rinse yourself before you go into the tub as manner. I rinsed myself and took a inside tub first to see how the water was....hhhhhmmmm...feels so good!! I was already happy. Then, I opened the door to the out side tub which I was so looking forward to....I could not help saying "oh, my, gosh!". Sakura-jima is right there. (The picture is actually taken from the tub. I sneaked bringing my camera phone when nobody around!) The hotel is standing on the hill, there is nothing to prevent the great view. Looking at the sky and great view of Sakura-jima....in a hot mineral spring....feel like in heaven. There is a saying "Ahhhh...Gokuraku, gokuraku" to show how great the feeling is (might be a little old saying), it literary means "Uhmmm...Heaven, Heaven." It totally describe how I felt, it is common to say when you are so relaxed in a nice hot tub like this. : )
I love onsen so much, I tried to go as many times as possible.....like 3 times a day. I am so lucky to be able to do that on my business trip!!!

No comments: