Saturday, March 08, 2008

Kyoto -Day 2-


I saw a lot yesterday but missed Chion-in which we just looked at a huge gate from outside. The place closed just a minute before we got there. It made me want to see it more, psychologically, Japanese saying "The one that got away is always the biggest"..... I only had 2 hours before leaving for work but I went for it! long staircase to the gate, then another stairs surrounded by woods. It opens up to big flat field. The main temple is big and old, very solemn. Taking off shoes and walked on wood paneled corridor all around the temple. Dark rich wood color shows its history, and detailed craftsmanship on doors shows their reverence. The corridor is famous for what is called as "nightingale corridor" since it makes a creaking sound when people walk on it. Back then, it was built like that on purpose to use as alert for intruders.

After enjoying the nightingale corridor, I entered inside which is 1 vast tatami room with its principal image. Surrounded by all the decoration, ritual drums and bells etc....it was quiet and very serene. A big room with no heater, but I felt like its coldness bracing ourselves for who we are. There was a monk chanting. There was a incense burning, filling the air with nice woody calming smell. I noticed a woman chanting as well in front of the incense burner. Some religious people learn chanting scroll and pray but I don't see them so often. I walked to see their big bell on the hill. I would love to hear the bell make its low deep sound throughout the city of Kyoto.

No comments: