Sunday, July 02, 2006

Last resort!?

Hokkaido is a Northern island of Japan, and now I am in a Southern island of Japan, Amami Oshima. People might think of Okinawa island for a Sounthern island but this Amami island is bigger than Okinawa as its size. It is just less crowded and developed. We arrived yesterday. As soon as I stepped out from the airplain, I felt its tropical climet. Humidity, shinning sun light burning your skin...everything seems so vivid. We went to directly to a restaurant where we can eat great "chicken rice". We were imaginning some kind of chicken dish over the rice but it was rice and chicken soup. You put several toppings on your served rice and pour the great golden clear chicken soup. It had really deep flavor but not thick or heavy at all. The chicken there was so fresh. We had chicken sashimi (well, I know some of you would not believe eating it raw but we do. It gotta be really fresh and done by skilled chef). We even had sashimi of a liver, heart, and.....CoCksCoMB!!!!! It was tiny and did not taste much, I think it is just for the texture. The chicken there was so fresh, so it was good dinner.



This morning, I went to a beach. The water was so nice and clean. The color of the ocean was beautiful. Okinawa is beautiful but it is getting more for tourism and everything is expensive. This place still keep lots of real nature. You can enjoy fruits picked up locally, Shochu (especially famous for shochu from sugar cane), and people's kindness, I wish I could stay here for vacation!

2 comments:

Gravity Engine said...

Sounds wonderful! Except for the cockscomb part.... and not sure about the rest of the raw chicken either... but... everything else sounds like paradise. :) That's a beautiful picture. Is it from your hotel room? I put it as my wallpaper image on my computer.

hanahiyori said...

It is not the view from hotel.
We took a cab and the driver stopped for us to show the best picture of the beach. He was from Amami and was so nice and friendly.