Monday, July 17, 2017

Kagoshima

Kagoshima 2017

I’m back in Japan again….it’s been a while since the last time I opened this blog page. Lately I feel like my memory term is getting shorter. Maybe I don’t need to remember or my brain trying to make some space for new stuff?? Anyways, I start feeling like I need to write again so I can keep the record of it. Traveling all over Japan for work is one of my privilege and I feel very fortunate. Especially I go to small cities in the countryside a lot this summer.

First stop was Kagoshima. Kagoshima is a part of Kyushu island, southern part of Japan. I went for a walk as there is a great walking path up/down mountain. I love those rush green giant woods, a bit moist air, cooler touch of moss, encountering many beautiful butterflies. I already felt my Chi energy is up! At the bottom of the mountain, there used to be a castle and wall made out of stones are still here. Usually a castle is surrounded by water to prevent an enemy to sneak in. Those water are filled with lotus and in bloom. How beautiful! Lotus grows in mud, makes a beautiful flowers despite going through dark and cold world and not even show what they’ve been through. There is a history museum where the castle used to be, it was only 310yen (like $3) so I decided to stop by and check out. It was amazing exhibit, lots of actual historical artifacts, in 3 different floor level!!


Notice board to bun Christianity 
Kagoshima is close to Okinawa and surrounded by the ocean, quite a lot of outside culture were brought in and spread. Wrecked ship landed on island of Kagoshima back in 1543 and a pistol was discovered. Several years later, Christianity first brought in Japan by Francisco Xavier who arrived at Kagoshima. Later on, feared Japanese government banned Christianity and there was a display of its notice board. Those are all what I had to study for my exam back in high school, lol.  I would say most famous Japanese who is from Kagoshima is Takamori Saigo. He was a lower class samurai (swordsman) but he was a hard working smart politician and worked for Kagoshima lord and also for the central government. Back then Japan was ruled by samurai with its center in Edo (Tokyo), but also having the imperial structure in Kyoto. At the end of Edo period, there was a big war between Samurai government idea with a closed Japan policy and  groups of new politicians looking for more open and modern Japan supporting emperor. Mt.Saigo had a huge role negotiating / convincing the Shogun to give up the government, making modern Japan era. He was even exiled two times and kept coming back to be a politician. He started a school after going back to Kagohima but ended up fighting against the new government which feared its power and killed himself knowing they would lose. Anyway….the museum had lots of historical & political documents, actual weapon from many and also items show how people used to live then.

Handle part is bare, maker and family crest engraved 

There are also items displaying their craftsmanship like a colored cut glassware called “Satsuma-kiriko”, Satsuma is old name for Kagoshima. As they were close to China and Korea, ceramics were imported and spread, developed according to the area.  Many decorative and every-day items, cultural, or religious items….then there is a special room exhibiting beautiful “katana”. Satsuma was famous for its blacksmith. Note says all the katana (swards) were collected after Samurai government were ended, most of them were destroyed, but since those made in Satsuma is cultural craftsmanship and Kagoshima asked to return some for museum.
I’m not big fan for weapon, however it looks so sharp and amazing. Some of them had Satsuma feudal lord’s family crest but some of them had the Shogun’s family crest. Because the craftsmanship was exceptional, they were allowed to engrave it.

Another thing I was surprised is, according to the museum, Kagoshima kinda invented a Japanese flag! To distinguish ships and boats in the ocean, they suggested to have a flag show which one belongs to Japan.


Game: to match incense by smelling it! 
Samurai (Edo) period had a long time history closing its country to other country, in other words they didn’t allow foreign country to come in. Only a few county had an access with tight restriction and with very limited countries. Personally I wonder this could be a part of reason Japanese people are very conservative and closed sometimes. At the same time, this could be the reason Japanese people kept high standard of moral, respect, and modesty. Everything has 2 sides, it’s not like one is bad and one is good. It’s a different perspective. I would like to keep what I believe good inside of me, yet keep my eyes open to new things so I can be fuller! 







No comments: