Monday, July 24, 2017

Miyajima / Itsukushima

This is the place I have wanted to visit one day when I have more time in Hiroshima.
However, I pushed myself this time to go because one day never comes. I needed to make one day reality, even I only have till 11am! I saw someone from my childhood after almost 30 years and he has learned so much and still keeps learning. I was inspired to do things when I have a chance, seize the moment, and enjoy now.

The island itself has been worshiped since ancient time, its original name is Itsukushima and it started to call Miyajima, which is the island with Miya (shirine) so both means the same island.

The site of Itsukushima Shrine is a world heritage, a large palace looking shrine built on shallow water. There is a big Torii (a gate for shrine) a bit off shore, with its red color against blue of water. At high tide, the shrine is above the water. At low tide, you can even walk to the torii gate. In 1146, Taira-no Kiyomori was designated to be the governor. After having a dream that an old priest told him to build a shrine in Itsukushima and his success would be given, he made this beautiful shrine. As he and his clan prospered, the worship of the shrine increased as well. It’s been worshiped and protected even after Heike (Taira clan) lost everything. There are long wooden corridors all around the main shrine where 3 goddesses are enshrined. I also learned there is a slight gap between the boards on the corridors so the water go through to weaken the power of waves. It looks unprotected facing ocean so close and it’s been hit by typhoons but had not reached the main shrine part. There are dance stages in front of the main shrine and together with corridor they almost work as sea walls. There has been wars, fire, natural disasters….but it has been re-built and repaired till today. Everything is neat and beautiful.

Another site I visited was Daishoin. Back in 806, a Buddhist priest Kukai (aka Kobodaishi as well) built a temple on Mt. Misen and trained there for 100 days. Within its property, there are several famous statues like Fudo-Myo-o believed The lord Hideyoshi, who unified Japan for the first time, held as a protector for his ship, or 3 demon gods the first Japanese president Hirofumi Ito worshipped. Also Binzuru sonjya, who is believed to heal you if you rub same part of his body you are having trouble. A big bell which you can hit once per person, it had such a low calming sound almost sounds like ohm. Total dark path underneath the main temple where you quietly focus on yourself and mind while you walk through in the dark. Ahhh, so much to see!! Unfortunately I could not visit but there is a fire burning there, believed Kukai priest started the fire and kept burning since then. Fire at Hiroshima Peace Memorial park was lit by this fire. It’s a hike to go up there and lots of spiritual site, I definitely want to go back.

Miyajima is such a popular site for Japanese and foreigners. There is a shopping arcade selling all kinds of sweets, snack, and gift. I bought a freshly deep fried Momiji-manju (Hiroshima’s sweets) and it was so good! Like a donut but light and crispy with soft dough of manju and red bean paste inside. You will be also greeted by deer once you get off a ferry boat. That was totally unexpected and they immediately melt my heart with their cute looking.  I was sweating like crazy walking around and hurrying back to the dock to make myself on time but felt so great and energized. Whole island was full of sacred energy, I am so happy I made the quick trip, can’t wait to visit again!

No comments: